This coming weekend marks one of the best of the entire year for any rower. The annual Head of the Charles Regatta draws rowers from all over the world to compete and reunite. Whether you’re racing in an alumni boat looking to relive the good old college days with your buddies, racing in a master’s event to test your mettle against rowers your age or racing any of the highly competitive championship events, this regatta is for you. It’s definitely a favorite for all of us at the National Rowing Foundation – we so look forward to gathering all national team rowers current and past for a fun reunion event every year.
This year marks the 50th Head of the Charles Regatta, so you can expect the regatta to be bigger and better than ever. There’s a lot of hype for this year’s event, here is a list of what you can expect, what the past 50 years have been like and what to check out while in Boston.
- The 50th event is such a big deal that there’s even a GALA! Oh, and Sir Matthew Pinsent will be speaking. http://www.hocr.org/the-regatta/spectators/50th-celebration-galaticket/
- There are A LOT of people coming to Boston for the two-day racing event. There are 11,000 rowers, 32 countries represented and 61 events. Check out more stats here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/10/11/head-charles-regatta-numbers/5coi4Q1tlR1ypUZqyFvCvI/story.html
- There’s some pretty awesome and ultra high level rowers competing in the Championship events this year. Check out the “Great Eight” lineups as well as the rowers competing for USA here:
Championship Men’s 8+ : https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/entries/competitors.jsp?job_id=3644&event_id=54
Championship Women’s 8+ : https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/entries/competitors.jsp?job_id=3644&event_id=54
- National Geographic considers the Head of the Charles one of five must-see events during the month of October in all the world. http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeographic.com/2014/09/24/event-o-rama-5-must-dos-in-october/#.VCRnK2-cJFk.twitter
- Steering the course can be really, really tough. Brush up your Charles’ turns in just 60 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsKj9aXKnlg
- The Boston mascots went out for a row last week and it was super cute. HOCR Executive Director Fred Schoch doesn’t quite fit in…
- The NRF is hosting a few events and you should come! You can register for either event here: https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=natrowing&id=43
Friday, October 17th ~ 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Reception to kickoff the 50th Head Of The Charles Regatta. Come meet and greet the many U.S. and international team athletes who will be racing.
Location ~ The Director’s Tent at Cambridge Boat Club
Cost ~ $50 Open Bar and Hors d’oeuvres
Saturday, October 18th ~ THE NRF ENCLOSURE
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Watch the racing and enjoy a light breakfast, lunch and drinks.
Location ~ Hospitality Row just upstream from the Eliot Bridge
Cost ~ $75
For all other info on the 50th Annual Head of the Charles check out their website at www.hocr.org
Hope to see you there!